This recipe is a great way to use Asian greens from the CSA such as bok choy, as well as leftover odds and ends from the crisper. If you can’t find Chinese egg noodles, use spaghetti. If doubling the recipe, don’t double the quantity of cooking oil.
Adapted from The Joy of Cooking’s All About Pasta & Noodles.
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, divided
8 ounces Chinese egg noodles or dry spaghetti
4 ounces bok choy, cut into 3-inch pieces
3 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 red or yellow bell pepper
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 cup chicken stock (or prepared bouillon)
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons peanut oil or stir-fry oil
- Freeze the chicken breast for 15 minutes to make slicing easier. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch, salt, and 1 teaspoon sesame oil. Remove chicken from the freezer and slice across the grain as thinly as possible. Toss chicken in the cornstarch mixture. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fill a large pot with water and prepare noodles according to the package directions. Once cooked, drain and rinse under cold water. Toss the noodles thoroughly with 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil. Set aside.
- Assemble the next five ingredients (from bok choy through minced garlic) on a plate or cutting board. Set aside.
- Prepare the sauce by combining chicken stock, oyster sauce, soy sauce, and sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat a wok or large, deep skillet over high heat. When hot, add 1/3 cup peanut oil and swirl around the wok until very hot (but not smoking). Add the chicken and stir fry quickly and lightly. Drain the meat in a colander, discarding the oil.
- Reheat the wok over high heat. When hot, add 3 tablespoons peanut oil. Swirl around until very hot and add all the ingredients on the plate with the bok choy. Stir and toss vigorously for about 45 seconds until well coated.
- Pour the sauce down the side of the wok. Stir and cover, allowing the vegetables to steam in the sauce for 1 minute. Uncover and add the noodles and chicken. Stir fry for about 30 seconds. Serve immediately.