For the wet mix:
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 green chilis or jalapenos, finely chopped
For the dry mix:
- 1 1/4 cups corn flour (arepa flour) or polenta/cornmeal
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (for color; not necessary if you are using polenta or cornmeal)
- 1 or more sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves only
- 1 cup grated cheese, plus extra for topping
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Put all the wet ingredients in one bowl and whisk together well. In another bowl, sift the two flours together before adding the rest of the dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined; do not overmix, or the batter will be tough.
- Oil and flour a loaf pan or baking dish (or line with baking paper). Tip the batter into the loaf tin/baking dish and even out the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then remove from the oven and sprinkle with a thin layer of grated cheese. Return to the oven for five minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool slightly before removing from the pan. Slice and serve warm or at room temperature.